Looking for Something?

Friday, March 27, 2020

Day 7: Is it me or is everything kind of fucked up?

Hello again everyone:

 I especially want to thank my overseas reader and the leader of the Dave Band. Eventually, (hopefully) there will be a link to our recordings and the inspirational story of our recording session. 

As I listen to music these days, some songs have lyrics that really grab me. Although the most recent song is from about 1970, artists have always felt the angst that surrounds them. And also some hope. Here are 10 that have resonated with me in the last few weeks.


 

1. All Along the Watchtower: Richie Havens

"There must be some way out of here?"

Right.

This is my favorite version of this song. He starts with a
little patter about Washington, DC. And then begins his mighty strum. We saw him at the Old Town School  He said that he had been on the road...since 1961. He is on my Mount Rushmore of Music.

2.  Visions of Johanna: Bob Dylan

"We sit here stranded, though we're all doin' our best to deny it."

Not sure about the denial part. We're pretty much sheltered in place. Also for those who have been to the Shearn place, this line is relevant.

"In this room, the heat pipes just cough."

On Mount Rushmore. Of course.


3. Helpless: CSN and Y but mostly Y

"Helpless, Helpless, Helpless."

When I was younger, I may have done a better job singing this song.

4. I Can't Make it Anymore: Richie Havens

Here Richie is talking about love gone wrong.  But there are times of day when I feel this way.

5. New Speedway Boogie: The Grateful Dead

"One way or another, this darkness got to give."

They were singing about Altamont but c'mon. We've got to get to the other side.

6: Mission in the Rain: Jerry Garcia


"Some folks would be happy to just have one dream come true."

Such a beautiful song about longing and regret. JG is on Mount Rushmore








7: Compared to What?: Les McCann & Eddie Harris


"Try to make it real, compared to what?"

Les McCann on vocals and piano and Eddie Harris on tenor sax had a hit with this song 1969. Now, that's what I'm trying do...aren't we all?

8: High Flying Bird: Richie Havens

"Lord, look at me here
I'm rooted like a tree here
Got those sit down
Can't cry, oh Lord, gonna die blues."


Written in 1963 by Judy Henske, this tune was played at Monterey Pop and Woodstock.

9. The Wheel: Jerry Garcia

"The wheel is turning and you can't slow down
You can't let go and you can't hold on
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will."


Okay, it's kind of pagan. The whole wheel of life bit. I take some comfort that the 'wheel's still in spin. '


10. Follow: Richie Havens

"If all the things you feel ain't what they seem.
And don't mind me 'cos I ain't nothin' but a dream."
Somehow that's comforting on an existential level. It's a fucking, bad dream now. But I hope it will pass safely for as many people as possible.

BTW: The fourth member of my Mount Rushmore is a street singer in Berkeley in the early 70s. More on him and all kinds of other stuff later...some time.






No comments:

Post a Comment