Looking for Something?

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Day 90: Romare Bearden, the coolest artist I never heard until about a week ago




While searching for images that described the street musicians from my days in Berkeley, I came across Romare Bearden's work.

Romare Bearden (1911-1988) and possibly Gypo, the cat

One of the joys of exploring the Internet rabbit holes that are the foundation of Don's Basement is learning about artists and their works. I am not alone in being late to Romare Bearden appreciation.

"Many artists and art historians consider Romare Bearden one of America's most important and inventive artists. But he's hardly a household name." Needa Ulaby, NPR 2003

Born in Mecklenburg, North Carolina in 1911, his family moved to New York City when he was 3 years old. Although raised in Harlem, he maintained his connection to the South with summer trips.  He and his wife, Nanette Rohan, whom he married in 1954 established a residence in St. Martin, her ancestral home. The merging of rural Southern, urban Northern and Caribbean sensibility infused his his work.

“I think the artist has to be some- thing like a whale, swimming with his mouth wide open, absorbing everything until he has what he really needs. When he finds that, he can start to make limitations. And then he really begins to grow.” Romare Bearden

Here are some selected works.

The Cotton Pickers: 1942 Oil

Three Thirsty Souls: 1946 Oil


Three Folk Musicians 1967 Collage


Carolina Morning:1972 Serigraph

The Street (Composition for Richard Wright): 1974 Felt Tip Pen

Trains, Through Freight: 1974 Print




  Circe Turns a Companion of Odysseus into a Swine: 1979 Screenprint

Jefferson Cooley's Evening Guitar: 1986 Collage

For much more information, check out the Romare Bearden Foundation. (I donated because I took so much content from them)

Here is an NPR Podcast about Romare Bearden. 7:00

This video is from the Foundation. 6:32




6 comments:

  1. I like these a lot. Borrows from Picasso a lot in these examples; strikes a pose like Picasso too. But I like the work. R

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the collages. I hope whenever the world turns safer to see some of his work in person. There are 5 at the Art Institute. Hopefully, I could find more in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have written quite a bit about him in the Chronicle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying your suggestion of viewing on Chrome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. That's why they call you Professor Shearn!

      Delete