Looking for Something?

Saturday, May 9, 2020

Day 50: A look back at at the basement...The Ouroboros edition

Next week,  I will be featuring the Donnies™nominations.  "Coming Distractions" will not be seen this week. (It will be seen next Saturday at its usual time. Around 3:00ish.)

This being Day 50 of this particular incarnation of Don's Basement, I am going full Ouroboros on your asses.

The Ouroboros (aw·row-baw-rowz) is the symbol of a snake eating it's own tail. It can be interpreted as a symbol the cycle of life. Cleopatra the Alchemist, a third century philosopher, when she wasn't turning mercury into gold  or hanging out with Mary the Jewess, produced the images below.



They are all variations of the Ouroboros. Cleo's commentary, "One is All and through it is All, and by it is All, and if you have not All, All is Nothing." Which pretty much sums up my philosophy in the basement.

To that end (or beginning) to celebrate the 50th, I am taking a look back at the top viewed Don's Basement posts since this bullshit began.

#5: SATURDAY, APRIL 4, 2020
Day 15: Coming Distractions Week 2

The most popular of the "Coming Distractions" series, this edition featured the now familiar "Count Me In" intro by Gary Lewis & the Playboys. As you can see below, I was having trouble with how my eyes looked so I subsequently switched to sunglasses.

#4: MONDAY, MARCH 23, 2020

This was the first post of the confinement series. It is a sincere document of a very freaked out individual. I realized that earnestness did not equal comfort and distraction which was what I needed. 
I must have sent out an e-mail about this because I can't imagine anyone found it on their own.


#3: FRIDAY, APRIL 17, 2020

As you will see by the rest of the list, this post has the key ingredient. Someone besides Don. Peggy Shearn's harmony, dulcimer, and FACEBOOK sharing made this post a fan favorite. It also helped me work out some confinement anxiety without getting into a fight.



#2 THURSDAY, APRIL 2, 2020

This one had a dual audience going. The post explained to my band, The Repeat Offenders, why I didn't want to play that song. (Racist appropriation). It also absolved my nephew, Will Schutze and Mr. Bonetangles of any complicity in such matters.

Mr Bonetangles and friend




#1: TUESDAY, MAY 5, 2020

The second of my two part exploration into what was the Dave Band, this post was over 30% more popular than part 1. Hard to explain but then the Dave Band experience is pretty hard to explain.


Thanks for reading this trip down short-term memory lane. Catch me tomorrow on a FACEBOOK Sunday.

Subscribers are STILL welcome. Just add your E-Mail to the box to your right between the two books.




2 comments:

  1. If mathematics is the real structure underlying reality, is ouroboros the real structure underlying all story-telling. We set up a joke, come back with the punch-line; we title a blog, set a theme in a paragraph, and consolidate it all with a pithy end. There's the very formal ouroboros of John Banville's "The Sea;" there's the husband who leaves Jenny Lipkin broke and alone with two tiny children in the first sentence, only to come round with that "second first kiss with your own husband" at the end; there's the cycle of Torah, and Krinsky, a kind of ouroboros, no? May you circle round in Don's Basement for a long, long time....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Roland. Our rabbi had an issue with the circle as the cycle of life. He claimed it was pagan and that Judaism sought to improve the world not just follow the cycle. Not sure if I agree with him. I agree with the improving part but the circle is fascinating. Amy got the galleys yesterday for 'Unseen City," which is sort of where she lives now.

    ReplyDelete