Looking for Something?

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Day 34: Pack Up Your Troubles...The Story Behind the Song

It's a "What Passes for Thought Thursday" and today I will tell you all I know about the song, "Pack Up Your Troubles."

The tune is taken from the 1965 song, "Pack Up Your Sorrows"" recorded by Richard and Mimi
Fariña. The couple married in 1963. He was 26 and she was 17. Richard died in a motorcycle accident just 3 years later while returning from a book signing event for his memoir  Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me.
Richard Fariña
The song is credited to Richard and Pauline Marden. Pauline Marden is the older sister of Joan Baez and Mima Baez Fariña. According to the Internet, "The expression "pack up your sorrows" was used by Pauline Marden and picked up by Richard Farina. So, when he wrote the song, he attributed her contribution by giving her co-writing credits. "

At the time, Pauline was married to Brice Marden, a New York artist of some renown.


Baez sisters: Pauline, Mimi and Joan


The song has been covered many times, notably by Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary,  and Louden Wainwright III and Iris DeMent. Johnny Cash and June Carter released the song as the "B" side of "Jackson" in February of 1967.  "Jackson" peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in May of that year.

Richard plays mountain dulcimer and Mimi plays guitar on their version of the song released on the album, Celebrations of a Grey Day" released in 1965.



Here is the "Pack Up Your Troubles"...again





Recording:

Don's Basement studios
April 15 and 16, 2020
Don Shearn: Lead Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Peggy Shearn: Harmony, Mountain Dulcimer
Andres Segovia: Lead Guitar
4 track recorded on Garageband.

Verse 1: 
Sunset Delivery Screen...Full or Expired


No use screaming bout the bad streaming.
Of food delivery sites.

When I first tried to use Sunset Foods foods pick up window, I was told to log on after Midnight when slots opened up. I stayed up...no mean feat...and tried to log on. After 20 minutes of hands shaking and  forehead sweating, I managed to get a slot only to discover that I ordered from the wrong online shopping cart.



Just say fuck it, we’ve got frozen nuggets
Got enough for 7 nights.


My solution was to ask Peggy  to take over the food and drink ordering. As for the "frozen nuggets", they are real and were purchased in April 2019. Their expiration date was November of last year but I'm keeping them.

Chorus 1:
Richard and Mimi

Well, if somehow you could pack up your troubles             
And keep them to yourself. 
I can’t use them, let’s have some booze then
There’s cranberry schnapps on the shelf

I used the image of Richard and Mimi playing together for this chorus, primarily because I couldn't find an image of Peggy and I playing together. That will be rectified as some point. But this image is so 1960s pure and optimistic. Although Peggy and I didn't meet till the 70s in my mind we were Richard and Mimi.

As for the booze...no brainer. We're drinking.

Verse 2: 

No use talking, while we’re out walking
I’ve got my bluetooth on.
I’m just chillin, listening to Dylan
Kennedy song goes on and on.

Not literally true. I don't have bluetooth headphones. But I have been listening to lots of Dylan. Even more than usual. And thinking about Dylan and blogging about Dylan. 

Chorus 2: 

Well, if somehow you could pack up your troubles
And keep them to yourself. 
Can’t you see now, I’ve watching TV, now
I’d rather watch by myself.

Mitch Cohen (Eugene Levy) and Mickey Crabbe (Catherine O'Hara formed the reunited folk duo in the 2003 mockumentary, A Mighty Wind about a folk music revival concert. We have also been watching Levy and O'Hara and company in Schitt's Creek

This works on two levels for me. The characterizations of Mitch and Mickey are sarcastic with an eye roll to the folk era. Not unlike where I was in 2003. I had my own business and was pretty wrapped up in the whole "buying and selling" bit. Not really doing any music except maybe song parodies at our temple. 

In the today world, Schitt's Creek has been a binge sensation. We watch it everyday and are sad because we are almost finished. It tells the tale of the Roses, a wealthy family who must adjust to their loss of money, status and prestige. As we are also in a period of adjustment, it feels very relatable. And very funny.

Verse 3:

Don’t go freakin, while I am sleeping
Telling me about the disease,
Give me the warning, just wait until morning
I really need to catch me some zees.

As some of you know, I am on a news black out. No NPR. No New York Times. No Politico. No Podcasts (except Bob Dylan, Album by Album). If there's something I need to know about friends or family or precautions or whatever, let me know. Otherwise...I'll pass.

Chorus 3:

If somehow You could pack up your troubles

And keep them to yourself.
I don’t need them, let’s smoke some weed, 
And keep our mental health.

I love the idea of John Boehner being a lobbyist for legalizing marijuana. Not sure why exactly because the guy was a pain in the ass during the Obama administration. 

Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner released 13 albums together between 1968 and 1980. While confined, our music has drifted more towards the country side. Peggy's primary instrument is the bowed dulcimer and she is learning the fiddle. I see a lot of country in our future. And the photo is aspirational. I want that suit.


It's not just booze, TV and weed. This blog is how I am trying to keep my mental health. Thanks for reading....

Peace!

3 comments:

  1. Boehner became sort of, for these times, lovable by how he retired. Can't say as much for his successor, just up the road from you. What is it about you Chicago people and Shits Creek. Hirsch watches it every night too. Because we hold good opinions of our friends, we keep trying, so far .... not working for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Kevin McCarthy the minority leader? Although he doesn't have too many minorities to lead. And it's Schitt$ Creek. Pre-confinement we didn't get through the first season. Now they are part of our dysfunctional video family. Speaking of video family, let's try for a Skype on Sunday, we'll have a new edition to our musical instrument family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent idea on Skype. Let us know the time....

    I was thinking of Boehner's immediate successor. McCarthy is another guy who I doubt will redeem himself by retirement. His seat looks safe for yet another round.

    ReplyDelete